21 Jun 2020. 12th Sun OT. Cycle A. Jer 20:10-13 + Rom 5:12-13 + Mt 10:26-33
Are not two sparrows sold for a small coin? Yet not one of them falls to the ground without your Father’s knowledge. Even all the hairs of your head are counted. So do not be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows (Mt 10:29-31; cf. Lk 12:6). Worth even more than sheep (Mt 12:12); more than 200 pigs (Mk 5:12); more than the grass and lilies of the field (Mt 6:30).
God created human beings in His image and likeness.
Created last, yet designated first, to lord over all the first creatures (cf. Gen 1:26-28; Ps 8:5-10).
Unlike His first creatures, God endowed human being as homo sapiens:
- With a mind to think and to reason;
- With ability to write and to read;
- With a soul to know and to adore God;
- With sense to know right from wrong;
- With free will to obey or to ignore God;
- With emotion to love and to hate;
- With talent to build and to devise;
- With skill to produce and to get rich;
- With aptness to learn from his mistakes,
- With just but merciful God to his rescue.
Human dignity is to respect a fellow human:
- Not a property dispensed as needed;
- Not a thing used and consumed;
- Not a means satisfying an end;
- Not a prototype altered when failed;
- Not a merchandise sold and traded;
- Not a pest exterminated when profuse;
- Not a program deleted when infected;
- Not a gadget disposed when broken;
- But a fellow equal human with dignity, made in the image and likeness of God. VSS
In May 2016, Cincinnati Zoo keepers shot and killed Harambe, the precious 17-year old gorilla, who dragged an unknown 3-year old boy to his possible death.
I knew you before I formed you in your mother’s womb (Jer 1:5). Even your name is written at the palms of my hands (Is 49:16; cf. Dt 6:8-9).